Welcome to the official website of the Dothan Area Cyclists (DAC)! DAC is an active bicycle club covering Dothan, Alabama and the surrounding tristate areas. The club offers something for all age and ability levels. We invite everyone with an interest in cycling to join and take part in the variety of activities offered by the club. We look forward to seeing you on our rides!
This website is maintained to keep you informed of DAC and other cycling events in the area. There is almost always a ride going on. If you are looking for a last minute ride, check out the DAC Facebook site. Be sure to keep an eye on the News section of this page also for details on other club and cycling-related happenings and information.
News and Upcoming Events:
- The July Ride is coming soon!
- The 2013 Southeast Organized Ride Calendar has been posted. See the ‘Events‘ tab for more information and a link to the calendar.
- The June ride was a big success. DAC loves Rucker!
- The DAC female cycling workshop was a success. A big thanks to Tracey Draper and all of the women who came out to attend.
- Paceline form and etiquette is important. Read up on it here.
- Tristates pictures have been posted. Check them out – Tristates Photos
- A big thanks to all of the helpers, organizers, volunteers and riders who came out and made the 2013 Tristates a success. We look forward to seeing you all next year.
- Looking for a new challenge or a new ride? Take a look at the Alabama Backroads Century Series. Our very own Tristates is a part of this for the first time in 2013.
- The 6-Hour Mountain Bike Challenge results are available here. Thanks to all who came out. Photos will be uploaded soon.
- Check out the online version of the Southern Bicycle Magazine Spring Edition.
- The 2013 Membership Drive for DAC continues!
There is no need to fill out a new membership form for renewals unless your information has changed since last yer. Membership is only $15.00 for an individual and $20.00 for a family. 2013Membership Form
Recent Event Highlights
Cycle Chicks Workshop
Dave’s Ice Cream Trailer
Ride for Turkeys
More Ride for Turkeys event photos can be found here.
By Dave Crocker
One of the first things I learned is that it is pronounced Chi-ha, as in Chief says “Ha, no self respecting Indian try to climb that big mountain on silly little bike wearing silly little shorts. That what we catch horses for.” The mountain was named by the Creek Indians and means “High Place”. Boy did they get that right! It is the highest point in Alabama and the Starting Line sure doesn’t feel like it starts out at anywhere near even the second highest point in Alabama. The course starts out with some gentle rollers but it doesn’t take long to find some real climbing… Read more here.
Nancy Brooks refers to herself as a mountain biker, but Scott Trott hopes she’ll evolve into something more. Since she doesn’t take her mountain bike on the road, Trott fixes her up with another bicycle for street riding. A few mountain bikers belong to Dothan Area Cyclists, Brooks said, “but that’s a bit more of a loner sport than road biking is.” She loves getting “nasty and dirty” on the trails, but still enjoys time spent riding with other kinds of cyclists… Read the full article here.
And some other recent rides…
March 11, 2012 – Group ride preview of the Thursday night ride series.
January 22, 2012 – Good turnout on an overcast day!
January 2012 – Great ride on the morning of 1/7!
December 2011 – Thanks to all of the organizers, volunteers, and riders for making the 1st Annual Poker Run and Toys-4-Tots event such a success.
Check out the Events page for our next event.
(last edited 4-15-2013)